Updated: Jan 23
This is without a doubt my most requested salad. Anytime I go to a party or get-together, I like to bring a big ol' grain salad. The toppings are often based upon what is fresh and in season - but this is by far my most requested dish.
Sweet and Earthy beets definitely take center stage, paired with tangy sun-dried tomatoes, creamy vegan dressing - there is no doubt this will be a hit for your next gathering!
Creamy Vegan Tahini Vinaigrette:
· 1 ¾ Cup Tahini
· 2 Oranges Juiced
· 1 Head of Garlic chopped & sauteed in Olive Oil
· ¼ Cup Honey
· ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
· 2 Tbl Dijon Mustard
· Salt & Pepper
· 1 Cup Hot Water- you may need a bit more to think out the dressing after it has been refrigerated
Whisk together and set aside
· 2-3 Lbs. of Beets; washed, peeled, and chopped
o Spices; Cinnamon, Garlic, Onion, Rosemary, Thyme, Ginger, Salt & Pepper
· 1 Large head of Kale – rinsed and chopped- the Kale will wilt down a bit so add more than you think you will need
· 1 Large can or 2 Small cans of Lentils, drained (You can steam your own, but I find canned Lentils have the perfect texture – Trader Joes also has cooked Lentils in the refrigerated section – these would be wonderful in this salad)
· 2 Cups of Cooked Barley
· 1 Jar of Sun-Dried Tomatoes – chopped (Save the olive oil for roasting beets – I refer to this as a double ingredient – you are getting flavored oil as well as the SDT)
· ½ Red Onion Chopped – Subtle but adds the right amount of bite
Optional: Sunflower Seeds
· Preheat Oven to 425°
· Line a large baking sheet with parchment, and add chopped Beets
· Drizzle the Oil from the Sun-Dried Tomatoes over Beets, season with Cinnamon, Garlic, Onion, Rosemary, Thyme, Ginger, Salt & Pepper – toss to coat evenly
· Roast for 25 minutes, flipping and then an additional 20. Beets should be browning on the edges and fork tender. If they are still hard, return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
· Add Chopped Kale to a big bowl, toss with a little of the Tahini Vinaigrette
· Once Beets are done cooking, add to bowl, allow the steam from the cooked beets to wilt down the kale.
· Add cooked Barley, drained Lentils, chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and chopped onion. Mix and drizzle with more vinaigrette (Reserving about ½ - ¾ cup)
This salad is delicious on its own or as a side dish. Drizzle with a little more vinaigrette just before serving.
I often make a big batch of this to have leftovers throughout the week. If I need a little extra protein, I’ll roast some chickpeas – they really offer the perfect crunch to this salad!
If you make this dish – leave a comment and tell me what you think!