Caramelized Banana Nut Muffins (Gluten Free)
Use up those brown bananas rotting on the counter with this guilt-free protein packed weekend treat! Easily make this recipe dairy free by swapping Coconut Oil for the Butter – and make Vegan by swapping out the egg for a chia or flax egg.
· 2-3 Medium Ripe Bananas
· ⅓ Cup of Butter (Or Coconut Oil)
· ¼ - ½ Cup Date Syrup (Maple Syrup and Honey also work well)
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 1 Egg
· 1 Cup Almond Flour
· ½ Cup GF Oat Flour
· 2 Tbl Coconut Flour
· ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
· 1-2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
· Pinch of Pink Salt
· ½ Cup Chopped Pecans or Dark Chocolate Chips
· Preheat Oven to 375°
· Brown butter in a heavy bottom pot – melt down until little brown bits form and there is a nutty aroma
· Gently squeeze bananas until they are mushy – peel and add to the pot
· Cook on medium-high heat letting the bananas get caramelized – it will start to smell sweet
· Turn off heat and melt in date syrup – let cool – once cooled, add egg & vanilla
· Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon & salt
· Add dry ingredients into the wet, fold in the pecans, and fill mini muffin tray. I used a silicone mold for this batch, but this batter would make 24 mini muffins, 12 regular muffins, or a full loaf.
· Add to oven and turn down to 350°
· Bake 25 minutes until muffin tops are firm – if squishy to touch bake another 5-10 minutes. Let cool before devouring.
(Extend muffin times depending on size and bake at least 45 minutes in a loaf pan)
These are also great as mini muffin tops – Refrigerate batter for at least 30 minutes, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop cold batter on pan – baking 15-20 minutes.
Drop a comment if you try this recipe!!